Have you been appointed as an estate trustee in Ontario? Are you unfamiliar with or overwhelmed by your administrative obligations? If so, you are not alone.
It is not uncommon for estate trustees and executors to feel uncertain about where to begin with administrative duties, especially after a loved one’s death.
The reality is that estate administration can be a job in itself, and many executors benefit from the help of a lawyer with experience in these matters. A mistake in estate administration can cause delays, confusion and heartache among heirs and beneficiaries, but these negative outcomes can be avoided.
From our offices in Mississauga, Hagel Lawfirm provides estate administration services to clients throughout the GTA. We are prepared to assist with a wide variety of duties, including:
- Filing an application for Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee With a Will, or filing an application for Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee Without a Will
- Creating an inventory of assets and valuable property
- Evaluating property
- Transferring any registered accounts
- Notifying insurance companies and filling out related claims
- Paying any outstanding bills
- Advertising for creditors
- Gathering previous income tax returns and preparing current returns
- Confirming that all taxes have been paid
- Calculating expenses, including funeral expenses and debts
- Determining the cost of probate and paying any related fees
For more on these matters, please see our Probate & Estate Administration overview.